Place:


Mill Hill  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mill Hill like this:

MILL-HILL, a village and a chapelry in Hendon parish, Middlesex. The village stands near the boundary with Herts, 1¼ mile EN E of Edgware r. station, and 2 ½ N of Hendon; and has a post office under Hendon, London, NW. The chapelry was constituted in 1836. Pop., 1,188. Houses, 192. ...


Part of the surface is high, and commands fine views. The old seat of the Nicholls of Copthall is here. The house of Collinson, the botanist, at which Linnæus planted some trees, also is here. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. T. Williams. The church was built about 1832, by W. Wilberforce, Esq.; is in the early English style; and contains 400 sittings.. There are a national school and the Dissenters' grammar school; and the latter was originally established in 1806 at the house of Collinson the botanist, but is now a building of 1825, with capacity for about 70 boys between 10 and 17 years of age.

Mill Hill through time

Mill Hill is now part of Barnet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mill Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mill Hill, in Barnet and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21011

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mill Hill ".