Place:


Llangammarch  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangammarch like this:

LLANGAMMARCH, a village and a parish in Builth district, Brecon. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Gammarch and Irvon, near a reach of the Mid-Wales railway which was in progress of formation in 1866, and under Mynydd-Epynt mountain, 7½ miles WSW of Builth; and has a post office under Builth, Breconshire. ...


The parish includes the hamlets of Treflis and Penbuallt, and comprises 11,748 acres. Real property, £3,585. Pop., 1,078. Houses, 209. The property is divided among a few. Llwynmadoc, situated on the Gammarch, is the seat of H. Thomas, Esq. Caeran was a seat of the Lloyds; and Llancadwgan was a seat of the Cadogans. A mineral spring is adjacent to the village. An ancient British camp, 240 feet in circuit, is near Caerau. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Llanwrtyd, in the diocese of St. David,s. Value, £209. Patron, the Bishop of St. David,s. The church is dedicated to St. Gammarch, and was recently rebuilt. Charities, £24. Bishop Howell's father and James Howell, author of ''Familiar Letters, ''were natives and vicars; and T. Evans, author of a Welsh History of the Britons, also was vicar.

Llangammarch through time

Llangammarch is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangammarch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangammarch, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20994

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangammarch ".