Place:


Llanfihangel Y Traethau  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Y Traethau like this:

LLANFIHANGEL-Y-TRAETHAU, a parish and a sub-district in Festiniog district, Merioneth. The parish lies on the coast, at the mouth of the river Dwyryd, and on the Barmouth and Carnarvon railway-which was completed about the end of 1866-3¼ miles N by E of Harlech. Post town, Harlech, under Carnarvon. ...


Acres, 7,567; of which 2,656 are water. Real property, £5,107. Pop. in 1851,1,587; in 1861,1,687. Houses, 385. The property is divided among a few. The surface near the river is marshy, and inland is hilly. A battle was fought, in 1073, at Bron-yr-Erw, between Trehaern-ab-Caradoc and Grufydd-ab-Cynan. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Llandecwyn, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £210. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church occupies a pleasant site; succeeded one which was founded in the time of King Edgar, by W. Dermae de Deler; has a monumental stone of that person; and is good. The p. curacy of Penryhyn-Dendraeth is a separate benefice. There are two chapels for Calvinistic Methodists. The Festiniog workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 32 inmates.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 31,954. Pop., 3,658. Houses, 813.

Llanfihangel Y Traethau through time

Llanfihangel Y Traethau is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Y Traethau itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Y Traethau, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20993

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Y Traethau ".