Place:


Baulking  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baulking like this:

BALKING, or Baulking, anciently Bethelking, a hamlet and a chapelry in Uffington parish, Berks. The hamlet stands near the Great Western railway, and the Berks and Wilts canal, 3 miles W by N of Faringdon Road r. station, and 4 SSE of Faringdon. It was for merly a market town; and its Post Town is Uffington under Faringdon. The chapelry contains 1,443 acres. Real property, £2,184. Pop., 181. Houses, 41. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage united to Woolstone, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £78. Patron,Eyre, Esq. The church is good.

Baulking through time

Baulking is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baulking itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baulking, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2099

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baulking ".