Place:


Ketley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ketley like this:

KETLEY, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Wellington parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to the Wellington and Severn Junction railway, 2 miles ESE of Wellington; is a large place, inhabited chiefly by miners; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Wellington, Salop. ...


The township includes the village; extends considerably into the country; contains many ironstone and coal pits, and several blast furnaces for iron; and has a canal and tram railway to Oaken-Gates pits, 1½ mile long, with a fall of 73 feet, formed in 1788 by Reynolds. The pop., in 1841, was 2, 642; but at the two subsequent decades, was returned with the parish. The chapelry has a church of 1837, and dates from that period, but does not seem to have definite limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £158.* Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church was built at the Duke of Sutherland's expense; is a neat cruciform structure, in the pointed style; and stands on an eminence, commanding extensive views over the surrounding plains, to the Wreken and the Welsh mountains.

Ketley through time

Ketley is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ketley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ketley, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20965

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ketley ".