In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ironville like this:
IRONVILLE, a village in Alfreton parish, Derby; and a chapelry partly also in Pentrich parish and Codnor-Park extra-parochial tract, Derby, and Selston parish, Notts. The village stands at the end of the Pinxton canal, close to the Erewash cana1, 7hf. a mile N of Codnor-Park r. station, and 3½ SE of Alfreton; has a post office‡ under Alfreton, a weekly market on Saturday, and an artists' and mechanics' library; and publishes a weekly newspaper.The chapelry was constituted in 1850. ...
Pop. in 1861, 2, 293. Houses, 419. Pop. of the Alfreton portion, 1, 508; of the Pentrich portion, 84; of the CodnorPark portion, 614. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in iron works. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, Francis Wright, Esq. The church was built in 1852, by the Butterley Iron company; and consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a tower. There are large national and infant schools, and a new cemetery of about 1½ acre.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ironville has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Amber Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ironville and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ironville, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ironville".