In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hersham like this:
HERSHAM, or HEVERSHAM, a village and a parochial chapelry in Walton-on-Thames district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 1 mile S of the Southwestern railway, and 5 SW by W of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Walton, and a post office under Esher. The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Rated property, £6, 000. Pop., 1, 766. Houses, 317. The chief landowners are F. T. Bircham, Esq., Sir Richard Frederick, Bart., Major Terry, and the Earl of Ellesmere. ...
The metropolitan convalescent institution stands about 1 mile W of the village; was extended, by the addition of a new wing, in 1862; and contains accommodation for 230 patients. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Walton. The church was built in 1839; is in the Norman style; and has a gable turret. The new church of Oatlands, built in 1862, is near the convalescent asylum. There is an Independent chapel, a circular edifice, built in 1844. There are also national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hersham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Elmbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hersham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hersham, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hersham".