In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Herne Hill like this:
HERNE HILL, a suburb in Camberwell parish, and a chapelry partly also in Lambeth parish, Surrey. The suburb lies 4 miles S of St. Paul's, London, and has a station with telegraph on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and a post office under Dulwich, London S. A railway from it to Wimbledon and Kingston was opened in May 1869. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 911. Houses, 131. Pop. of the Camberwell portion, 177. Houses, 29. The property is much subdivided. The houses are mostly villas, occupied by London merchants. Casino House is a fine mansion, with extensive grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £500. Patron, W. Stone, Esq. The church was built in 1844, burnt in 1858; was restored afterwards at a cost of £7, 000; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Herne Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lambeth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Herne Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Herne Hill, in Lambeth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Herne Hill".