Place:


Drumburgh  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drumburgh like this:

DRUMBURGH, a township in Bowness parish, Cumberland; on the Solway frith and the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 8½ miles WNW of Carlisle. It has a station on the railway. Real property, £3, 423. Pop., 421. Houses, 94. The Roman station Gabrosentum, on the Roman wall, was here; and a seat of the Dacres, called Drumburgh Castle, occupies the site of the station, and was built out of the ruins of its masonry.

Drumburgh through time

Drumburgh is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drumburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drumburgh, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20901

Date accessed: 09th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drumburgh ".