Place:


Coalbrookdale  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coalbrookdale like this:

COALBROOKDALE, or Colebrookdale, a village and a parochial chapelry in Madeley district, Salop . The village stands in a narrow wooded glen, 1 mile W of Iron-Bridge, with a station on the Severn Valley railway, and 3 miles SE by S of the Wrekin, and 5 S of Wellington. It has a post office under Wellington, Salop, a banking office, a handsome new church, two dissenting chapels, a school of art, and a literary and scientific institution; and it is surrounded by a mineral field of about 32 square miles, famous for variety of fossils, for output of coal and ironstone, and for the sustenance of iron-works of much extent and great note. ...


The circumjacent scenery, along the glen, and around its junction with the Severn, and over the flanking heights, is very romantic. The chapelry comprises parts of the parishes of Madeley and Dawley-Magua; and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 1,805. Houses, 360. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250.* Patron, A. Darby, Esq.

Coalbrookdale through time

Coalbrookdale is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coalbrookdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coalbrookdale, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20880

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coalbrookdale ".