Place:


Ashley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashley like this:

ASHLEY, a township in Bowdon parish, Cheshire; on the Knutsford and Altrincham railway, near the river Bollin, 2½ miles S of Altrincham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 2,173. Real property, £3,900. Pop., 375. Houses, 59. Ashley Hall was a place of councils against the canse of the rebellion in 1715. A school church was built in 1864; and a Wesleyan chapel in 1839.

Ashley through time

Ashley is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashley, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2088

Date accessed: 27th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashley ".