In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chignall Smealy like this:
CHIGNAL-SMEALY, or Little Chignal, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; 4½ miles NW by N of Chelmsford town and r. station. Post town, Great Waltham, under Chelmsford. Acres, 476. Real property, £709. Pop., 70. Houses, 14. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £120. Patron, Major Spitty. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chignall Smealy has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chignall Smealy and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chignall Smealy, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chignall Smealy".