Place:


Cranfield  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cranfield like this:

CRANFIELD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 3½ miles NW of Lidlington r. station, and 6 NW by W of Ampthill: has a post office under Newport-Pagnell; and gave the title of Baron to the Duke of Dorset. The parish comprises 3, 500 acres. ...


Real property, 6, 519. Pop., 1, 591. Houses, 315. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Oakley hounds. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £376.* Patron, the Rev. G. G. Harter. The church is later English, in good condition. There are two Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £18, alms-houses with £60, and other charities with £28.—The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 10, 191. . Pop., 3, 706. Houses, 753.

Cranfield through time

Cranfield is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cranfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cranfield in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2087

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cranfield ".