In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ploughley like this:
PLOUGHLEY, a hundred in the N E of Oxford; containing Ardley parish, 32 other parishes, and parts oftwo others. Acres, 57, 492. Pop. in 1851, 14, 776; in 1861, 14, 747. Houses, 3, 195.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ploughley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cherwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ploughley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ploughley, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ploughley".