Place:


Campton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Campton like this:

CAMPTON, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel, 1¼ mile W of Shefford r. station, and 6 SW of Biggleswade; and has a post office under Biggleswade. The parish includes also the township of Shefford. Acres, 1,120. Real property, £4,406. ...


Pop., 1,544. Houses, 327. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Shefford, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £374.* Patron, Sir G. R. Osborn, Bart. Both churches are good; and the mother one has a brass of 1489. R. Blomfield, the poet, was buried here in 1823. There are a national school and charities £144.

Campton through time

Campton is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Campton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Campton in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2086

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Campton ".