Place:


Bradford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradford like this:

BRADFORD, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies adjacent to the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 279. Pop., 3,523. Houses, 707. The chapelry extends into Beswick township; bears the name of Bradford-cum-Beswick; and was constituted very recently. ...


The statistics are not reported. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, with a parsonage, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church was built in 1862, at a cost of £6,000; and is in the early English style, and cruciform. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, large schools built in 1864, at a cost of £3,000, and a police station.

Bradford through time

Bradford is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bradford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradford, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20843

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bradford ".