Place:


Clydesdale  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clydesdale like this:

Clydesdale, either the entire basin of the Clyde or the immediate valley of the river, or the part of that valley within Lanarkshire, or the section of the valley between Lanark and Bothwell. The first and second of these senses of the name are ancient and almost obsolete. The third is still in use, designating a region famous for mineral wealth, for manufacturing industry, and for a splendid breed of cart-horses. ...


The fourth, too, is still in use, characterising a famous orchard region. Clydesdale gives the title Marquis (cre. 1643), in the peerage of Scotland, to the Duke of Hamilton. See Clvde and Lanarksiiire.

Clydesdale through time

Clydesdale is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clydesdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clydesdale in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20840

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clydesdale ".