Place:


Bloomsbury Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bloomsbury like this:

BLOOMSBURY, or St. George-Bloomsbury, a parish, which is also a subdistrict, in the district of St. Giles, Middlesex; in Finsbury borough, about 1¼ mile WNW of St. Paul's, London. Acres, 122. Real property, with St. Giles-in-the-Fields, £299,540. Pop. in 1841, 16,981; in 1861, 17,392. Houses, 1,990. It was originally part of St. Giles-in-the-Fields parish, and was separately constituted in 1729. It includes Bloomsbury square, Russell square, Woburn square, and part of Torrington square, together with intermediate and adjacent streets. ...


Part of it shows the architecture of the time of Queen Anne; and much consists of houses which were fashionable residences till about 1828. It contains the British museum, and the buildings or offices of several metropolitan institutions. A sitting statue of Fox, 9 feet high, by Westmacott, is in Bloomsbury. square; and a statue of the Duke of Bedford, also by Westmacott, is in Russell square. St. George's church, adjacent to New Oxford-street, was built in 1731, at a cost of £9,790; is in a mixed style of Doric and Corinthian; and has a steeple, modelled after Pliny 's account of the tomb of Mausolus, crowned by a statue of George II. The French Episcopal chapel, in Bloomsbury street, was built in 1845; and is noted for the use of the Anglican liturgy in French. The Baptist chapel, adjacent to this, was built in 1848; and has a circular window 18 feet in diameter, and towers with spires 117 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £780.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Christ church. in Woburn square, is a separate benefice, with income of £500, in the patronage of the Rector. Bedford chapel and the French Episcopal chapel also are separate incumbencies. S. Jenyns and T. Hook were natives; and Richard Baxter, Sir H. Sloane, Dr. Radcliffe, Akenside, Romilly, Lawrence, Lord Mansfield, and Lord-Chancellor Loughborough were residents.

Bloomsbury through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bloomsbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Camden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bloomsbury and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bloomsbury, in Camden and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20836

Date accessed: 27th November 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bloomsbury".