Place:


Chirbury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chirbury like this:

CHIRBURY, or Cherbury, a village and a parish in Salop; and a sub-district in Salop and Montgomery. The village stands in a fine vale, near the Welsh boundary, Offa's dyke, and the Oswestry and Newtown railway, 3 miles NE of Montgomery town and r. station; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. ...


It is the Cyric-byrig of the Saxons; has remains of an Augustinian abbey, founded, in the time of Henry III., by Robert de Boulers; and gave the title of Cherbury to the famous Lord Herbert. The parish contains also the townships of Dudstone, Hockleton, Marrington, Marton, Middleton, Priestweston, Rorrington, Stockton, Timberth, Walcot, Wilmington, Winsbury, and Wotherton. Acres, 11, 041. Real property, £12, 829. Pop., 1, 538. Houses, 313. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £179.* Patrons, Trustees. The church belonged to the abbey; and is good. The vicarages of Middleton and Marton are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists; and charities £100. Bishop Chirbury, who died in 1497, was a native.—The sub-district contains also another parish in Salop and a parish in Montgomery; and is in the district of Montgomery. Acres, 18, 668. Pop., 5, 756. Houses, 1, 113.

Chirbury through time

Chirbury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chirbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chirbury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2077

Date accessed: 15th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chirbury ".