Place:


Chanctonbury  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chanctonbury like this:

CHANCTONBURY, an ancient camp in Wiston parish, Sussex; on one of the Downs, 814 feet high, 3½ miles W by N of Steyning. It has a dark clump of trees; and figures in the landscape views of half the county. It is circular, and may have been originally British; but it lies near a Roman road running east and west, and has yielded Roman coins. The prospect from it is extensive, panoramic, and grand.

Chanctonbury through time

Chanctonbury is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chanctonbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chanctonbury, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20703

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chanctonbury ".