Place:


Cashio  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cashio like this:

CASHIO, a hamlet and a hundred in Herts. The hamlet is in Watford parish; and lies adjacent to Watford town, the river Gade, and the Northwestern railway. It bears also the name of Cashiobury; and it occupies the site of an ancient town of the Cassii, and was given by King Offa to St. Alban's Abbey. ...


Cashiobury Park, immediately N of it, belonged once to the Morrisons and the Capels; and is now the seat of the Earl of Essex. The mansion is a Tudor edifice, containing many fine family portraits; and the park is spacious, and was laid out by Le Notre. The hundred extends from Bucks and Middlesex, north-north-eastward, past the hamlet and past St. Alban's, to within 2¾ miles of Stevenage; and contains nineteen parishes. Acres, 82,090. Pop. in 1851, 31,009; in 1861, 33,058. Houses, 6,522.

Cashio through time

Cashio is now part of Watford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Watford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cashio itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cashio, in Watford and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20699

Date accessed: 23rd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cashio ".