Place:


Brightside  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brightside like this:

BRIGHTSIDE, a village, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Sheffield and Rotherham railway 2¼ miles NE of Sheffield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. ...


Pop., 10,101. Houses, 2,104. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, altern. the Crown and the Archbishop. One church was built in 1854; and another, at a cost of nearly £12,000, in 1869. The township bears the name of Brightside-Bierlow; and includes Bridgehouses, Nursery, and Wicker, which are suburbs of Sheffield,-as also the villages of Crabtree, Grimesthorpe, and Neepsend. Acres, 2,690. Real property, £85,768; of which £1,666 are in mines and quarries. Pop. 29,818. Houses, 6,243. There are cutlery-works, rolling-mills, a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, a library, national schools, and charities £41.-The subdistrict is conterminate with the township.

Brightside through time

Brightside is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brightside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brightside, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20688

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brightside ".