Place:


Bishopbriggs  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bishopbriggs like this:

Bishopbriggs, a village in Cadder parish, Lanarkshire, on the Edinburgh and Glasgow section of the North British railway, 3¼ miles N by E of Glasgow. It was originally called Bishops' Riggs, and took that name from lands around it belonging to the Bishops of Glas gow; it presents a somewhat unprepossessing appearance, and is inhabited chiefly by poor Irish families; and it has a station on the railway, a post office with telegraph department under Glasgow, a Church of Scotland mission station, a Free church, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 74 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 75, and a grant of £68, 3s. ...


Pop. (1861) 658, (1871) 782.

Bishopbriggs through time

Bishopbriggs is now part of East Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopbriggs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopbriggs, in East Dunbartonshire and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20672

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopbriggs ".