In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birchfield like this:
BIRCHFIELD, a chapelry in Handsworth parish, Stafford; 3 miles N of Birmingham. It has a post office under Birmingham. Pop., about 2,000. Living, a vicarage. Value, £350. The church was built in 1865.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birchfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Birmingham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birchfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birchfield, in Birmingham and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birchfield".