In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belchalwell like this:
BELLCHALWELL, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; 3 miles S of Sturminster, and 6½ WNW of Blandford r. station. Post Town, Turnworth, under Blandford. Acres, 1,308. Real property, with Fifehead-Neville, £3,188. Pop., 158. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Rivers. The church has a Norman porch and a square tower; and is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Belchalwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Belchalwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belchalwell in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Belchalwell".