In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bagillt like this:
BAGILLT, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Holywell parish, Flint. The village stands on the S side of the estuary of the Dee, contiguous to the Chester and Holyhead railway, 2 miles NW of Flint, and 2¼ SE of Holywell. It has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Holywell; and is a sub-port to Chester. The tract round it is rich in minerals, and yields a great output of coals; and the village itself is the seat or centre of extensive lead, iron, and alkali works. ...
So large a quantity of lead ore as 100,000 tons, accompanied by 42,000 ounces of silver, has been annually smelted. One of the adjacent hills bears the name of Bryn-Dychwelwch, signifying "the hill of retreat;" and was the place at which Owen Gwynedd sounded his retreat from the pursuit by Henry II. Bagillt Hall, in the vicinity, is an old seat of the Griffiths.-The township bears the name of Ba gillt-Fawr, and includes the hamlets of Bagillt-Bach and Bagillt-Fechan. Real property, £7,040; of which £927 are in mines.The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 2,935. Houses, 687. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £155.* Patron, the Vicar of Holywell. The church is in the early English style, and was opened in 1839. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Welsh Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bagillt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bagillt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bagillt in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bagillt".