Place:


Coldred  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coldred like this:

COLDRED, a parish in Dover district, Kent; near the Chatham and Dover railway, 1 mile ESE of Shepherdswell r. station, and 5 NNW of Dover. Post town, Dover. Acres, 1, 532. Real property, £2, 228. Pop., 134. Houses, 28. Waldershare Park, the seat of the Earl of Guildford, is in the vicinity of the church. ...


Ceolred, king of Mercia, is said to have fought a battle here, in 715, with Ina. A Roman entrenchment, enclosing about 2 acres of laud, encircles the church; and was found, at the cutting of a road through it, to have a well about 300 feet deep. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Sibbertswold, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church has recently been repaired, but beyond the bell turret has no features of architectural interest.

Coldred through time

Coldred is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coldred itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coldred, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2061

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coldred ".