Place:


Parr  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parr like this:

PARR, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Sankey canal, the St. Helens railway, and the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 1½ mile E S E of St. Helens r.station; and has a post-office under St. Helens. The township contains also the hamlets of Parr-Flat, Ashton-Green, and Blackbrook. ...


Acres, 1, 601. Real property, £35, 208; of which £20, 292 are in mines, £29 in the canal, and £68 in gas-works . Pop. in 1851, 4, 875; in 1861, 8, 253. Houses, 1, 419. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Parr; one of whom was Sir Thomas Parr. There are extensive collieries, large alkali works, and copper works. The chapelry excludes part of the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop.in 1861, 4, 712. Houses, 824. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Incumbent of St. Helens. The church was built in 1865, in room of a previous one destroyed by fire, but on a different-site. There are a dissenting chapel, twonational schools, and a Roman Catholic school.

Parr through time

Parr is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Parr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parr, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20546

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Parr ".