Place:


Whitkirk  Yorkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitkirk like this:

WHITKIRK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hunslet district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands ½ mile SE of Crossgates r. station, and 4 E of Leeds; and is ancient and interesting. The parish contains Austhorpe and Thorp-Stapleton townships, and chief parts of Seacroft and Templenewsam townships; includes 8 villages or hamlets; and has a post-office of Seacroft, and other post-offices, under Leeds. ...


Acres, 5,930. Rated property, £9,141. Pop. in 1851, 2,794; in 1861, 3,032. Houses, 639. The property is much subdivided. W. Manor House, Manston Hall, Manston Lodge, Seacroft Grange, Seacroft Hall, Killingbeck Hall, Killingbeck Lodge, Austhorpe Hall, Austhorpe Lodge, and Templenewsam House are chief residences. A preceptory of Knights-Templars was at Templenewsam. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £202.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is of the time of Henry VII., and was restored in 1856. The vicarage of Seacroft is a separate benefice. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £84--The sub-district includes Swillington parish, and comprises 8,690 acres. Pop., 3,978. Houses, 830.

Whitkirk through time

Whitkirk is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitkirk itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitkirk, in Leeds and Yorkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20494

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitkirk ".