Place:


Astley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Astley like this:

ASTLEY, a chapelry in the parish of St. Mary Shrewsbury, Salop; 2¾ miles ENE of Hadnall r. station, and 6½ miles NE of Shrewsbury. Post Town, Shawbury under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,168. Rated property, £1,670. Pop., 239. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £56. Patrons, Trustees The church is good.

Astley through time

Astley is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Astley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Astley, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2048

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Astley ".