Place:


Sharples  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sharples like this:

SHARPLES, a township and a sub-district in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The township lies 2½ miles N of Bolton; and contains the villages of Banktop, Sweet-Loves, High-Houses, Gale, Folds, Belmont, Piccadilly, Water-Meetings, Old Houses, and part of Astley-Bridge. ...


Acres, 3, 920. Real property, £14, 697; of which £302 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 904; in 1861, 3, 294. Houses, 697. There are cottonmills, calico print-works, extensive bleach-works, largereservoirs of Bolton water-works, the churches of Belmont and Astley-Bridge, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national and British schools.—The sub-district contains also the higher end or detached part of Little Bolton township. Pop. with S. township, in 1861, 4, 243. Houses, 872.

Sharples through time

Sharples is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sharples itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sharples, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20439

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sharples ".