Place:


Seasalter  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seasalter like this:

SEASALTER, a parish in Blean district, Kent; on the coast, and on the N line of the Southeastern railway, westward from Whitstable. It contains part of Whitstable; was a borough at Domesday, called Le-saltre, and possessing eight fisheries; has now no village; and is a liberty. Post-town, Whitstable, under Canterbury. ...


Acres, 3, 171; of which 1, 720 are water. Real property, £5, 426. Pop. in 1851, 1, 240; in 1861, 1, 378. Houses, 269. The property is much subdivided. Oyster fishingis carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £160. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe old church is now used only for burials. The new church stands in Whitstable, and was built in 1845. There are an endowed school with £24 a year, and other charities £53.

Seasalter through time

Seasalter is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seasalter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seasalter, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20437

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seasalter ".