Place:


Roath  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roath like this:

ROATH, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the South Wales railway adjacent to the river Rumney, 1¼ mile N E of Cardiff. Post-town, Cardiff. Acres, 3, 500; of which 1,070 are water. Real property, £11, 746. Pop. in 1851, 394; in 1861, 3,044. Houses, 525. The increase of pop. ...


arose from connexion with Cardiff. The property is not much divided. Plas Newydd is a chiefresidence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £96. Patron, the Marquis of Bute.. The church is good. A Baptist chapel is at Tredegar-ville; was built in 1862, at a cost of £3, 200; and is in the early English style, and cruciform.

Roath through time

Roath is now part of Cardiff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cardiff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roath, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20425

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roath ".