Place:


Pimlico  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pimlico like this:

PIMLICO, a section of St. George-Hanover-square parish, Westminster, Middlesex; extending from Buckingham-gate to Chelsea, around a convergence of railways, 3 miles S W by W of St. Paul's, London. It formerly was all open fields, belonging to the Grosvenors:it now is all a compact portion of the metropolis, well-built and well-aligned, with many magnificent edifices, and many fashionable squares, streets, and places; it contains Buckingham palace, Belgrave-square, Eaton-square, Chester-square, Ebury-square, Eccleston-square, Warwick-square, and Wilton-crescent; it has recently acquired various splendid extensions or reconstructions; it contains Victoria r. ...


station, whence railway communicationgoes in all directions, into the city, across the Thames and into the country; it has post-offices‡ and postal pillar-boxes under London S W; and it contains a Bpolicestation, Tattershall's rooms, the Grosvenor basin and canal to the Thames, wharves, machinery works, whitelead works, cement works, saw-mills, four chapelries, four proprietary chapels, various dissenting chapels, St. Barnabas college with chapel and schools, St. Peter'sgrammar school in Eaton-square, St. Michael's schoolsin Tudor architecture, Ebury proprietary school, St. George's hospital, rebuilt in 1829, and other institutions. The four chapelries are St. Peter, St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Saviour, with a pop. of respectively 14, 328, 10, 371, 7, 658, and about 8,000; and the four proprietary chapels are Belgrave, Ebury, Eaton, and Charlotte-street. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of London. Value of St. Peter, £700; of the others, not reported. Patron of St. Peter, the Bishop of London; of St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Saviour, the Marquis of Westminster; of Eaton chapel, the Rev. J. Rashdall; of Charlotte-streetchapel, P. R. Hoare, Esq.; of the others, not reported. St. Peter's church was built in 1824-7, at a cost of £5, 556. St. Gabriel's church was preceded by a temporary ironchurch, erected in 1861; and was itself built in 1865-6, at a cost of about £12,000. St. Saviour's church was built in 1864, at a cost of £12,000; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire 190 feet high. Campbell the poet lived in Victoria-square; and Wynne the engraver lived, and Mrs. Radcliffe died, in Stafford-row. See London and Westminster.

Pimlico through time

Pimlico is now part of Westminster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Westminster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pimlico itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pimlico, in Westminster and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20403

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pimlico ".