Place:


North Shields  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described North Shields like this:

Shields, North, seaport, market town, and township with ry. sta., Tynemouth par., Northumberland, at mouth of river Tyne, opposite South Shields, and forming part of the parliamentary and municipal bor. of Tynemouth, 36 ac., pop. 7250; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks. North Shields has establishments for the mfr. ...


of marine engines and chain-cables and anchors, shipbuilding yards, roperies, salt-works, and a work for earthenware and stained glass. Fishing is largely carried on. North Shields is one of the Tyne Ports. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) It has 2 light-houses - the High Lighthouse, in front of Dockwray Square, 49 ft. high, with fixed light 123 ft. above high water and seen 16 miles; and the Low Lighthouse, near Clifford Fort, 76 ft. high, with fixed light 77 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles. The whole of Tynemouth bor. is usually called North Shields. See SOUTH SHIELDS and TYNEMOUTH.

North Shields through time

North Shields is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Shields itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Shields, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20390

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Shields ".