Place:


Mansfield Woodhouse  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mansfield Woodhouse like this:

MANSFIELD-WOODHOUSE, a village and a parish in Mansfield district, Notts. The village stands ¾ of a mile W of the river Maun, and 1½ N of Mansfield r. station; was burnt in 1034; is a large place, with some old houses; and has a post office under Mansfield, and a fair on the third Wednesday of Oct. ...


The parish includes part of Sherwood forest, and comprises 2,860 acres. Real property, £8,314; of which £48 are in quarriesPop. in 1851,1,972; in 1861,2,263. Houses, 492. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the Duke of Portland. The Priory is the seat of G. Robinson, Esq., and Debdale is the seat of E. T. Coke, Esq. A number of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting. A small ditched-ditched Roman camp is at Winny-Hill; and many Roman coins, pavements, urns, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicaragr in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is early English, in good condition; and has an octagonal spire, 104 feet high. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, two endowed schools, a recently established village hospital, and some small charities.

Mansfield Woodhouse through time

Mansfield Woodhouse is now part of Mansfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mansfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mansfield Woodhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mansfield Woodhouse, in Mansfield and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20366

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mansfield Woodhouse ".