Place:


Warcop  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warcop like this:

WARCOP, a parish, with four hamlets, in East Ward district, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, and on the Eden Valley railway, 3 miles WNW of Brough. It has a post-office under Penrith, and a r. station. Acres. 10,020. Real property, £6,360. Pop., 806. Houses, 153. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belonged anciently to the Warcops; and passed to the Brathwaites, the Stephensons, and the Prestons. A castle of the Warcops stood at Castle Hill, and was used as a quarry for building Kirkby-Stephen church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £194.* Patron, the Rev. W. S. Preston. The church is good; and there are two dissenting chapels, and charities £36.

Warcop through time

Warcop is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warcop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warcop, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2035

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warcop ".