Place:


Kirkley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkley like this:

KIRKLEY, a village and a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the coast, 1¼ mile S by W of Lowestoft r. station; is partly suburban to the new town of Lowestoft, and partly a joint village with Pakefield; and has a post office under Lowestoft. The parish comprises 539 acres of land and 40 of water. ...


Real property, £3, 781. Pop. in 1851, 799; in 1861, 1, 129. Houses, 239. The increase of pop. arose from proximity to Lowestoft, from employment on Lowestoft harbour, and from success in herring fishings. Most of the inhabitants are employed in fishing. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £142.* Patron, the Rev. H. Willmott. The church stands on high ground; serves as a landmark to mariners; has a square tower; and is very ancient and much decayed. Charities, £15.

Kirkley through time

Kirkley is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkley, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20331

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkley ".