Place:


Kidbrooke  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kidbrooke like this:

KIDBROOKE, a liberty in Lewisham district, Kent; on Watling street and the North Kent railway, between Blackheath and Charlton. It consists of two hamlets, Lower Kidbrooke, a mile S of Charlton, and Upper Kidbrooke, 2 miles NW of Eltham; and it has a post office under Greenwich, London SE. It was once a parish; but it lost its church and its parsonage, through neglect; and it became annexed, by composition, to CharltonAcres, 755. Real property, £10, 236. Pop. in 1851, 460; in 1861, 804. Houses, 116. It gave the title of Baron to the Marquis of Bristol.

Kidbrooke through time

Kidbrooke is now part of Greenwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Greenwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kidbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kidbrooke, in Greenwich and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20322

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kidbrooke ".