In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brighouse like this:
BRIGHOUSE, a village and a chapelry in Hipperholme-cum-Brighouse township, Halifax parish, and a subdistrict in Halifax district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Calder, adjacent to the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3½ miles ESE of Halifax; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office‡ under Normanton, and fairs on 13 May and 12 Oct. Trade is carried on in cotton, woollen, and worsted manufactures, in malt-making and card-making, and in the working and exporting of building-stone. ...
Fixby Hall, the seat of the Thornhills, is in the vicinity. The chapelry includes the village; and was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £11,660. Pop., 4,562. Houses, 947. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £250.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church is a modern Gothic edifice, built at a cost of £3,515. There are a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, and an endowed grammar school with £119 a year.-The subdistrict consists of parts of the parishes of Halifax and Dewsbury. Acres, 5,514. Pop., 9,992. Houses, 2,105.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brighouse has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Calderdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brighouse and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brighouse, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brighouse".