Place:


Temple Sowerby  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Temple Sowerby like this:

TEMPLE-SOWERBY, a township-chapelry, with a r. station, in Kirkby-Thore parish, Westmoreland; on the Eden Valley railway, 6½ miles NW of Appleby-Post town, Kirkby-Thore, under Penrith. Acres, 1,176. Pop., 374. Houses, 79. The manor was given, by the Viponts, to the Knights Templars; and passed to the Dalstons. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96. Patron, Sir P. Tufton, Bart.

Temple Sowerby through time

Temple Sowerby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Temple Sowerby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Temple Sowerby, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2029

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Temple Sowerby ".