Place:


Fochabers  Moray

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fochabers like this:

Fochabers, vil. with ry. sta., Bellie par., Elginshire, on right bank of river Spey, 2½ miles E. of its ry. sta., which is 6¼ miles SE. of Elgin, pop. 1189; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Fochabers (which is a burgh of barony under the Duke of Richmond and Gordon) is the centre of business for a considerable extent of surrounding country, and has several annual fairs. It contains Bellie parish church and Milne's Free School (1846).

Fochabers through time

Fochabers is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fochabers itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fochabers in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20277

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fochabers ".