Place:


Cogan  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cogan like this:

COGAN, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; near the coast, 3½ miles S by E of Ely r. station, and 4½ SSW of Cardiff. Post town, Penarth, under Cardiff. Acres, 602. Real property, £854. Pop., 283. Houses, 38. An old house, at Cogan-Pill, was the seat of the Herberts of Cogan. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Leckwith, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church has tombs of the Herberts.

Cogan through time

Cogan is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cogan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cogan in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20232

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cogan ".