Place:


Knockin  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knockin like this:

KNOCKIN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Oswestry district, Salop. The village stands on or near an affluent of the river Severn, 4¼ miles SSW of Rednall r. station, and 5½ SE by S of Oswestry; was anciently called Cnukyn; was the scene of a defeat of Welsh insurgents, under Madoc, in the time of Henry III.; was once a market town; and has now a post office under Oswestry. ...


The parish, with the small extra-parochial tract of Heath-Farm, comprises 1, 561 acres. Real property, £6, 489. Pop., 289. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the family of L'Estrange, had a strong castle of theirs, and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. Knockin Hall is now the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £330. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is ancient and Very neat.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 19, 422. Pop., 4, 423. Houses, 887.

Knockin through time

Knockin is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knockin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knockin, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2022

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knockin ".