Place:


Buttington  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buttington like this:

BUTTINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Montgomery; on Offa's Dyke, the river Severn, and the Oswestry and Newtown railway, 2 miles NE of Welshpool. It has a station on the railway; and includes the townships of Cletterwood, Hope, and Trewern; and its Post Town is Welshpool. Acres, 5,099. ...


Real property, £6,106. Pop., 935. Houses, 173. The property is divided among a few. A sharp victory was obtained here, in 894, by the Saxons over the Danes; and nearly the last of the sanguinary struggles of the Welsh for national independence was made here. Several ancient entrenchments are on the hills; and a vast quantity of human bones was found, not many years ago, in digging for a foundation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £127.* Patron, the Vicar of Welshpool. The church is early English, and good.

Buttington through time

Buttington is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buttington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buttington, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20210

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buttington ".