Place:


Ballachulish  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ballachulish like this:

Ballachulish (Gael. bail- a - ehaolais, ` town of the strait '), a large but straggling village of Lismore and Appin parish, Argyllshire, extending along the southern shore of salt-water Loch Leven, on either side of the Laroch river, up to the month of Glencoe. Its central point, the bridge over the Laroch, is 1¾ mile WSW of Bridge of Coe, 23/8 miles ESE of Ballachulish Ferry, and 16½ S of Fort William; by coach and steamer Ballachulish in summer has constant communication with Tyndrum and Oban, and so with all parts of Scotland. ...


At Ballachulish Ferry, where the entrance of Loch Leven narrows to 1 furlong, stands an excellent hotel; the steamboat pier is 1 mile further W; and the village has a post and telegraph office under Glencoe, an Established mission church (enlarged 1880), a Free church, St John's Episcopal church (1842-48; congregation, 600) in pseudo Early English style, and St Mum's Roman Catholic church (1836; 100 sittings). A public and an. Episcopal school, accommodating 58 and 126 children, had (1879) an attendance of 67 and 84, and grants of £48,12s. and £28,10s. Pop. of village (1871) 944; of Glencoe and Ballachulish registration district (1871) 1529, (1881) 1441. ` The slate quarries,' to quote from Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc. (1878), p. 77, ` were commenced about 1760, and at present are worked with great vigour under the trustees of the late Sir George Beresford. The vein of slate, which is at an angle of 80o, stretches S and E from the shore along the side of Meall Mor (2215 feet), and then runs into the centre of it. The face of the rock is laid open by workings fronting N and W, the inclination of the vein being towards the E. The workings of the main or E quarries are conducted in four levels, above the common highway, and three sinkings, making an aggregate working face of 436 feet in depth -an increase of 230 feet since 1843. The W

Ballachulish through time

Ballachulish is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ballachulish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ballachulish, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20171

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ballachulish ".