Place:


Widford  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Widford like this:

WIDFORD, a parish, with a village, in Ware district, Herts; near the Buntingford railway, 4 miles E by N of Ware. It has a post-office under Ware, and a r. station. Acres, 1,137. Real property, £2,509. Pop., 456. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. There are two barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £290.* Patron, W. P. Hamond, Esq. A new church was built in 1862. Charities, £28.

Widford through time

Widford is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Widford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Widford in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2015

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Widford ".