Place:


Cleveland  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cleveland like this:

CLEVELAND, a territory in the north of N. R. Yorkshire; extending along the Tees and the sea from the upper vicinity of Yarm to the western vicinity of Whitby. It corresponds nearly with the wapentake of Langbaurgh, and is 28 miles long and 15 miles broad. It gives the title of Duke to the family of Vane; and it produced the original stock of hunting and draught horses, known as Cleveland bays.

Cleveland through time

Cleveland is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleveland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleveland, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20125

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleveland ".