Place:


Merseyside  England

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merseyside like this:

MERSEY (THE), a river of Cheshire and Lancashire. It is formed by the confluence of the Goyt and the Etherow, at the boundary between Cheshire and Derbyshire, in the neighbourhood of Compstall; it runs in a winding course westward to Stockport, and is there joined by the Tame; it thence runs windingly, along the boundary between Cheshire and Lancashire, past Northenden, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Carrington, Warburton, and Warrington, to Runcorn; it is joined by the Irwell on the right bank below Carrington, and by the Bollin on the left bank below Warburton; it begins to expand slowly and slightly into estuary below Warrington; it becomes decidedly esturial, with a breadth of fully 2 miles, about 2 miles he low Runcorn, and there is joined on the left bank by the Weaver; it thence makes a demisemi-circular bend to the sea a little below Liverpool; and it forms, in its lowest reach, the most largely frequented harbour in the world. ...


lts characters as an estnar., and its capacities and adjuncts as a harbour, are noticed in the article LIVERPOOL. Its entire fluviatile course from the confluence of the Goyt and the Etherow to the decided expansion into estuary below Runcorn, measured in straight lines, without including sinuosities, is about 32 miles.

Merseyside through time

Merseyside is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merseyside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merseyside, in Liverpool and England | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20102

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merseyside ".