Place:


Bramley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bramley like this:

BRAMLEY, a village an and a township-chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Leeds, Bradford, and Halifax railway, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4 miles NW by W of Leeds; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Leeds.—The chapelry comprises 2,331 acres. ...


Real property, £27,824. Pop., 8,690. Houses, 1,957. The property is much subdivided. Cloth manufacture is carried on; and excellent stone is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £239.* Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. The church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £6,000. There are four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £28 a year, and charities £73.

Bramley through time

Bramley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bramley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bramley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20092

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bramley ".